- To learn about the French game of pétanque and to rehearse new vocabulary
Pupils should be taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding.
- Engage in conversations.
- Ask and answer questions.
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words.
- Fostering curiosity and deepening understanding of the world
- 6.1 Understand the main points and simple opinions, listen attentively, retell and discuss the main ideas.
Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
Teacher knowledge - language points
During the week
- You could practise pétanque and perhaps have a tournament in class.
- Use the movements for the P.E verbs and the new words from this lesson in a warm up lesson for P.E, giving directions in French.
- Use the construction of an opinion + the infinitive for when the children answer the register: J’aime sauter, for example.
- Research pétanque – where are the next championships and who is the current champion?
- Research the Olympic Games.