Before the lesson
- To listen to the lyrics and melody: “Teddy Bear’s Picnic” by John Walter Bratton and Jimmy Kennedy and recall part of the story.
- To move to music with instruction, changing movements to match the tempo, pitch or dynamic of the piece.
- To talk about how a piece of music makes you feel.
Communication and language
- Learn new vocabulary.
- Listen carefully to rhymes and songs, paying attention to how they sound.
- Learn rhymes, poems and songs.
Expressive arts and design
- Listen attentively, move to and talk about music, expressing their feelings and responses.
- Explore and engage in music making and dance, performing solo or in groups.
- ELG: Being imaginative and expressive: Perform songs, rhymes, poems and stories with others, and – when appropriate – try to move in time with music.
Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Playing and exploring
- Creating and thinking critically
Outcomes taken from Development Matters, 2021.
ELGs taken from the new statutory framework for the EYFS, 2021.
Prompts for learning
To listen to a The main/most distinguishable part of a song or piece of music, otherwise called a ‘tune’…. and interpret the story behind it.
Note any specific next steps for individual children.