- To learn weather phrases
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Explore the patterns and sounds of language through songs and rhymes and link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
KS2 Framework objectives:
- Use physical response to show recognition and understanding of specific words and phrases (O4.2)
- Listen for sounds, rhyme and rhythm (O4.3)
Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
Teacher knowledge - language points
During the week
- Each day ask the class, Quel temps fait-il aujourd’hui ? – What’s the weather like today? Give the children alternatives if they struggle to recall the phrase they need.
- Play the Weather cards games again
- Use the Activity: Mini weather cards with individuals or groups as an additional visual aid, or use them to play snap with the children saying the correct weather phrase.
- Play Touchez!:
- Split the class into two teams and display the weather symbols on the interactive whiteboard using the final slide of the Presentation: Weather phrases.
- One player from each team goes head to head.
- The teacher calls out a weather phrase and the first player to touch the correct picture wins a point.
- Make a class dynamic wall display using weather symbols and phrases to record the weather each day of the week and get the children to revise the days of the week, the words aujourd’hui – today and hier – yesterday