Before the lesson
- To understand how weather forecasts are made
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use search technologies effectively, appreciate how results are selected and ranked, and be discerning in evaluating digital content
- Select, use and combine a variety of software (including internet services) on a range of digital devices to design and create a range of programs, systems and content that accomplish given goals, including collecting, analysing, evaluating and presenting data and information
- Design, write and debug programs that accomplish specific goals, including controlling or simulating physical systems; solve problems by decomposing them into smaller parts
- Use sequence, selection, and repetition in programs; work with variables and various forms of input and output
Pupils needing extra support: Should work with a partner and focus on finding the relevant information on websites and putting it in the spreadsheet.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should explain in detail how information from satellites and ground stations leads to weather forecasts as well as how collaboration between forecasters could impact the accuracy of predictions.