Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To be able to describe a journey to different French-speaking countries around the world
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
KS2 Framework objectives:
- Speak clearly and confidently (O3.2)
- Repeat words and phrases modelled by the teacher (O3.4)
- Identify some of the countries where the language is spoken (IU3.2)
- Play games to aid memorisation (LLS)
During the week
- French firsts- a timeline Concorde – the supersonic jet airliner first flew in 1969. It was a British-French venture, named after the French word ‘harmony’ or ‘union’. It was decommissioned in 2003, and various models can be found on display in national air/aviation museums.
- As a PE warm up, display city names on different walls. Call out a phrase, for example: ‘Je vais à Dakar en avion’ . Children run to the right city, using aeroplane actions. Repeat with other cities/modes of transport.
- Make a display of flags from French-speaking countries around the world (it is the official language of 29 countries).