Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To be able to compare French with English and identify words which are cognates
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Link the spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Read carefully and show understanding of words, phrases and simple English
- Make comparisons with English
KS2 Framework objectives:
- Identify phonemes which are the same as or different from English (O3.2)
- Recognise how sounds are represented in written form (KAL)
- Compare the language with English (LLS)
During the week
- French firsts – a timeline – Create a transport timeline by looking at a different pioneer of transport in France each week. It could make a display, a mini-book, a research project or even be a prompt for a piece of writing. Did you know: in 218 BC, Hannibal travelled through France with his army of war elephants: they famously crossed the Pyrenees and Alps mountain ranges and some of the elephants were lost in the Battle of the Rhône Crossing.
- Puzzles – Children can design their own puzzles (word searches, crosswords) using the new vocabulary.