- To make statements about the weather and points of the compass
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Listen attentively to spoken language and show understanding by joining in and responding
- Engage in conversations; ask and answer questions; seek clarification and help
- Speak in sentences, using familiar vocabulary, phrases and basic language structures
KS2 Framework objectives:
- Use physical response to show recognition and understanding of specific words and phrases (O4.2)
- Ask and answer questions on several topics (O4.4)
Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
Teacher knowledge - language points
During the week
- Play the Compass points directions game again as a PE warm up. Make it more challenging by teaching and then using the inter-cardinal compass points (see Teacher knowledge – language points).
- Encourage the children to say longer sentences using compass points and et/mais. For example, Dans le nord il fait beau mais dans le sud il pleut.
- Using a map of France or Europe, make a weather display with keywords and symbols learnt so far. If the items for display are laminated with velcro attached you could move the symbols for the children to describe the weather on the map. Alternatively, pupils can act as weather anchors and move the symbols as they choose – presenting a daily weather report.