Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To learn that an algorithm is a set of instructions to carry out a task, in a specific order
- To follow an algorithm as part of an unplugged game
- To learn to debug instructions, with the help of an adult, when things go wrong
Personal, social and emotional development
- ELG: Managing self: Be confident to try new activities and show independence, resilience and perseverance in the face of challenge.
- Count objects, actions and sounds.
- Link the number symbol (numeral) with its cardinal number value.
- Count beyond ten.
Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Playing and exploring
- Active learning
- Creating and thinking critically
Outcomes taken from Development Matters, 2021.
ELGs taken from the new statutory framework for the EYFS, 2021.
Prompts for learning
To experiment with programming a Bee-Bot/Blue-Bot and to learn how to give simple commands.
To learn to debug instructions, with the help of an adult, when things go wrong.
Make a note any specific next steps for individual children.