Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To learn about traditional Christmas music
- To take part in a group song involving singing, voice sounds and playing instruments
- To sing and move to a Christmas song
Understanding the world
- Recognise that people have different beliefs and celebrate special times in different ways.
Expressive arts and design
- Listen attentively, move to and talk about music, expressing their feelings and responses.
- Sing in a group or on their own, increasingly matching the pitch and following the melody.
- Explore and engage in music making and dance, performing solo or in groups.
- ELG: Being imaginative and expressive: Sing a range of well-known nursery rhymes and songs.
- ELG: Being imaginative and expressive: Perform songs, rhymes, poems and stories with others, and – when appropriate – try to move in time with music.
Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Playing and exploring
Outcomes taken from Development Matters, 2021.
ELGs taken from the new statutory framework for the EYFS, 2021.
Prompts for learning
To learn about modern Christmas songs.
Note any specific next steps for individual children.