Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To analyse and evaluate electrical products
Pupils should be taught to:
- Investigate and analyse a range of existing products
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Understand and use electrical systems in their products [for example, series circuits incorporating switches, bulbs, buzzers and motors]
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped the world
Pupils needing extra support: Should spot the similarities and differences between the torches before evaluating them. Ask them to circle the aspects of their given torch on the sheet as well as writing a sentence (with support if necessary) to reflect this. Work in groups. Use the Activity: Features of a torch A drawing which shows the appearance, structure, or workings of something…. as an aid to writing, circling favourite parts and discussing their ideas for their own torch design.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should explain which features are important when making a good torch and which features are appealing to the user. Work independently.