Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To explore how to reinforce a beam (structure) to improve its strength
Pupils should be taught to:
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion and prototypes
- Select from and use a wider range of materials, components and construction materials according to their functional properties and aesthetics
- Investigate and analyse a range of existing products
- Apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures
Pupils needing extra support: Can make fewer structures and To find out whether something works as it should or if you know something…. them, drawing simple conclusions. Use your demonstration piece as a visual model whilst they build a A structure built over something, such as a river or motorway, so people or animals can cross…. design and provide verbal cues to guide their thinking if they are struggling to see other ways to improve the Something that has been made and put together. It can usually stand on its own….. Use slide 10 from the Presentation: Arch and beam bridges to share example answers on the Activity: Bridge design development sheet.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should make a wider range of different structures and test them, drawing meaningful conclusions, identifying specific areas of weakness or strength. Provide with extra bridge design development sheets if they have already made a beam, arch, laminated and corrugated bridge beam to include their own ideas and designs.