Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To log data taken from online sources within a spreadsheet
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use search technologies effectively, appreciate how results are selected and ranked, and be discerning in evaluating digital content
- Select, use and combine a variety of software (including internet services) on a range of digital devices to design and create a range of programs, systems and content that accomplish given goals, including collecting, analysing, evaluating and presenting data and information
CAS Framework links
- CAS progression pathway: Performs more complex searches for information(AL) (GE) (EV)
- CAS progression pathway: Analyses and evaluates data and information, and recognises that poor quality data leads to unreliable results, and inaccurate conclusions. (AL) (EV)
- CAS progression pathway: Understands why and when computers are used. (EV)
- CAS progression pathway: Understands the main functions of the operating system. (DE) (AB)
- CAS progression pathway: Knows the difference between physical, wireless and mobile networks. (AB)
Pupils needing extra support: could label the temperatures on the Resource: World map resource rather than in a spreadsheet.
Pupils working at greater depth: could use their geographic knowledge to help them to get closer the actual highest and lowest temperatures. They could also be shown how to insert a table (see script) to enable them to more easily sort the data.