- To explore the ups and downs of friendships
Pupils should know:
- How important friendships are in making us feel happy and secure, and how people choose and make friends
- That most friendships have ups and downs, and that these can often be worked through so that the friendship is repaired or even strengthened, and that resorting to violence is never right.
Before the lesson
Pupils needing extra support: May benefit from being in the same group and being given the Activity: A special bond between yourself and a friend. problems – with example so that they have a specific A difficult situation that needs to be resolved or overcome. to respond to. They could also work in a group with an adult to support them.
Pupils working at greater depth: Could be challenged to give a couple of solutions to the problem including signposting to additional support.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this topic
- Assessment Y5/6: (CB) Families and relationships
- Y5/6 Introductory Lesson 1 (Cycle B): Setting rules and signposting
- Y5/6 Lesson 2 (Cycle B): Friendship skills
- Y5/6 Lesson 3 (Cycle B): Respect
- Y5/6 Lesson 4 (Cycle B): Resolving conflict
- Y5/6 Lesson 5 (Cycle B): Family life
- Y5/6 Lesson 6 (Cycle B): Stereotyping
- Y5/6 Lesson 7 (Cycle B): Challenging stereotypes
- Y 5/6 Lesson 8 (Cycle B): Change and loss