- To begin to understand the difference between acceptable and unacceptable physical contact.
Being safe: pupils should know:
- that each person’s body belongs to them, and the differences between appropriate and inappropriate or unsafe physical, and other, contact
Before the lesson
Pupils needing extra support:
Year 1: Children can select images from the Activity: Physical contact images to stick onto their picture.
Year 2: Could be supported by working in a mixed-ability pair or with an adult. Could compare parent and teacher only using the appropriate versions of the activity.
Pupils working at greater depth:
Year 1: Could add who they like the particular contact with, for example, a cuddle with grandma, being tickled by dad.
Year 2: Could be challenged to think of other physical contacts to write under each heading on the Activity: Usually, sometimes or never appropriate.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this topic
- Assessment Y1/2: (CB) Safety and the changing body
- Y1/2 Lesson 1 (Cycle B): Communicating with adults
- Y1/2 Lesson 2 (Cycle B): Road safety
- Y1/2 Lesson 3 (Cycle B): Safety at home
- Y1/2 Lesson 4 (Cycle B) Safety with medicines
- Y1/2 Lesson 5 (Cycle B): Getting lost
- Y1/2 Lesson 6 (Cycle B): The internet
- Y1/2 Lesson 7 (Cycle B): Appropriate contact
- Y1/2 Lesson 8 (Cycle B): My private parts are private
- Lesson 9: Respecting personal boundaries