- To begin to understand how loss and change can affect us
Families and people who care for me
Pupils should know:
- How to recognise if family relationships are making them feel unhappy or unsafe, and how to seek help or advice from others if needed.
- There is a normal range of emotions (e.g. happiness, sadness, anger, fear, surprise, nervousness) and scale of emotions that all humans experience in relation to different experiences and situations.
- How to recognise and talk about their emotions, including having a varied vocabulary of words to use when talking about their own and others’ feelings.
Before the lesson
N.B. There may be pupils in the class who have recently experienced a Another word for death. or The state of mourning or grief after someone dies.. It might be appropriate for them to make a card for the person or An animal that we look after and care for in our homes. who was special for them or they may need support through the lesson from you or another adult and after the lesson. It would be advisable to forewarn their parents and carers that the lesson is going to take place.
Pupils needing extra support: May need to look through the book again to choose an image after the task is explained. May want to use the Activity: Card insert to support them to complete the writing on the inside of their card.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should be challenged to write in their card to explain to the Someone you like and enjoy spending time with and often shares common interests with you… how remembering Badger can help them feel Something that is superior to something else..
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this topic
- Y1/2 Lesson 1 (Cycle B) Introduction: Setting ground rules for RSE & PSHE lessons
- Y1/2 Lesson 2 (Cycle B): Family
- Y1/2 Lesson 3 (Cycle B): Friendships
- Y1/2 Lesson 4 (Cycle B): Other people’s feelings
- Y1/2 Lesson 5 (Cycle B): Getting along with others
- Mixed-age Y1/2 Lesson 6 (Cycle B): Friendship problems
- Y1/2 Lesson 7 (Cycle B): Gender stereotypes
- Mixed-age Y1/2 Lesson 8 (Cycle B): Change and loss