- To create an original piece of artwork in the style of Matisse
- To follow instructions in French
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Present ideas and information orally
- Broaden vocabulary using a dictionary
- Repeat words and phrases modelled by the teacher (O3.4)
- Recognise some familiar words in written form (L3.1)
- Experiment with the writing of simple words (L3.3)
- View a media resource about the country (IU3.4)
- Compare the language with English (LLS)
Before the lesson
During the week
- Continue practising your greetings and feelings vocabulary from ‘French, Year 3, French greetings with puppets’ as you take the register at each end of the day.
- Display your Matisse gallery in a corridor or hall – ask visitors to spot the animals.
- Use the animal names for a mime game. Do a mime and ask: Qu’est-ce que c’est ?
- Create your own list of animal names to share and display as a class word bank (with Matisse pictures to illustrate).
- Choose one child to share their work each day and describe which shapes they have used.
- Matisse or not? Show a series of French artwork pieces by various artists (Matisse, Seurat, Monet, Degas, etc). The children have to decide if it is Monet: oui or non.