- To recognise and name colour words
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Develop accurate pronunciation
- Begin to present ideas and information orally
- Link spelling, sound and meaning of words
- Remember a sequence of spoken words (O3.4)
- Make links between some phonemes, rhymes and spelling (L3.2)
- KAL Recognise how sounds are represented in written form
Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
Teacher knowledge - language points
During the week
- Continue with the register-calling exercises from the unit ‘French, Year 3, French greetings with puppets’ to keep reminding the children of the vocabulary they have already learned.
- Call out a colour in French and get the children to find something of that colour in the classroom.
- Use the French colours as team names in your PE lesson.
- Learn ‘I can sing a rainbow’ in French:
Rouge et jaune et rose et vert,
Orange et violet et bleu,
Les couleurs de l’arc…. de l’arc…
Rainbow in French (l’arc-en-ciel) translates as ‘the arch in the sky’.
- Practise writing colour words by making calligrams to display. For example, fill an outline of a rainbow, flower petals or other objects with the colour word, written in different shapes and sizes in the appropriate colour.