Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To design a toy that uses a pneumatic system
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of innovative, functional, appealing products that are fit for purpose, aimed at particular individuals or groups
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas through discussion, annotated sketches, cross-sectional and exploded diagrams, prototypes, pattern pieces and computer-aided design
- Evaluate their ideas and products against their own design criteria and consider the views of others to improve their work
- Understand and use mechanical systems in their products [for example, gears, pulleys, cams, levers and linkages]
Pupils needing extra support: Utilise the examples, and/or edition two of the Activity: Pneumatic toy design sheet. They should be encouraged to keep their ideas simple so that they can focus on creating a high-quality end product. Remove the time constraint suggestions on thumbnail sketches.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should be challenged to draw with detail and accuracy, labelling the parts and materials in their design.