Before the lesson
- To make a stable structure
Pupils should be taught to:
- Select from and use a range of tools and equipment to perform practical tasks [for example, cutting, shaping, joining and finishing]
- Select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, according to their characteristics
- Build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable
- Evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
Pupils needing extra support: Might need to work as part of a guided group, whereby an adult completes one part of the Something that has been made and put together. It can usually stand on its own…., then gives pupils in the group time to complete the step before moving on. Could use cylindrical objects to wrap their A flat 2D shape, that can become a 3D shape once assembled. around first to help achieve the right The form of an object..
Pupils working at greater depth: Should work independently to cut and To put all parts together to form the final product. their own structure. Should produce Neat, correct shape, size and pattern with no mistakes. cuts and a cylinder of an even thickness throughout.