- To apply interpretation skills to analyse and respond to an abstract painting
Pupils should be taught:
- About great artists, architects and designers in history.
Before the lesson
Pupils needing extra support: May need reminding that there is no correct way to create their drawing and be encouraged to explain their colour and shape choices. Provide them with lots of visual stimulation with images and possibly objects too to inspire their ideas.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should use richer language in discussion and the feedback and create an inventive piece of art which represents the same themes as the original painting. Encourage them to experiment with different media and take on a mixed media approach to their piece.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this unit
- Assessment Art Y4: Every picture tells a story
- Lesson 1: David Hockney: My Parents (Original scheme)
- Lesson 2: Paula Rego: The Dance (Original scheme)
- Lesson 3: Edward Hopper: Table for Ladies
- Lesson 4: Pieter Bruegel: Children's Games
- Lesson 5: Fiona Rae (Original scheme)
- Lesson 6: Leonardo Da Vinci: The Last Supper: Easter themed