Before the lesson
- To create abstract art
Pupils should be taught:
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- To learn about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work
Pupils needing extra support: You can put the children in mixed ability pairs. Remind the children that they are creating abstract art, rather than ‘making a picture’.
Pupils working at greater depth: You can encourage these children to try out a variety of compositions of colour and abstract shapes.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this unit
- Assessment Art & design Y1: Formal elements of art
- Lesson 1: Shape: Abstract compositions - Option 1
- Lesson 1: Shape: Abstract compositions - Option 2: Christmas themed
- Lesson 2: Line 1: Exploring line
- Lesson 3: Line 2: Exploring line
- Lesson 4: Colour 1: Making colours
- Lesson 5: Colour 2: Painting with colour