- To apply an understanding of the features of abstract art.
Pupils should be taught:
- To develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- To learn about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work
Before the lesson
Pupils needing extra support: Could work in mixed ability pairs and be reminded that they are creating abstract art, guiding them away from the idea of ‘making a picture’.
Pupils working at greater depth: Can be encouraged to try out a variety of compositions of colour and abstract shapes.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this unit
- Assessment Art & design Y1: Formal elements of art
- Lesson 1: Shape: Abstract compositions - Option 1
- Lesson 1: Shape: Abstract compositions - Option 2: Christmas themed
- Lesson 2: Line 1: Exploring line
- Lesson 3: Line 2: Exploring line
- Lesson 4: Colour 1: Making colours
- Lesson 5: Colour 2: Painting with colour