Before the lesson
- To listen to the classical piece and narrated story of “Peter and the Wolf” by Sergei Prokofiev and recall the characters from the story.
- To understand that music and instruments can be used to convey moods or represent characters.
- To talk about how a piece of music makes you feel.
Communication and language
- Listen to and talk about stories to build familiarity and understanding.
Expressive arts and design
- Listen attentively, move to and talk about music, expressing their feelings and responses.
Characteristics of Effective Learning
- Playing and exploring
- Creating and thinking critically
Outcomes taken from Development Matters, 2021.
ELGs taken from the new statutory framework for the EYFS, 2021.
Prompts for learning
To use actions to retell a story to music.
To sing and perform a group song.
Note any specific next steps for individual children.