Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To use knowledge about language to solve a science-based puzzle
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Understand and respond to written language from an authentic source
- Understand patterns of language and how these differ from or are similar to English
- Use the context of what they read to determine some of the meaning (LLS)
- Discuss language learning and share ideas and experiences (LLS)
- Hear main word classes (KAL)
During the week
- Start each day with a new set of strange sentences. Ask the children to create their own.
- Add foreign language captions to your class plant life cycle display. Use captions from the activity or home languages from any ‘English as a foreign language’ children in the class.
- French language versions of Eric Carle’s books, ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ and ‘The Tiny Seed’ available online.