Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To understand what it means to have a healthy diet
Pupils should know:
- What constitutes a healthy diet (including understanding calories and other nutritional content)
- The principles of planning and preparing a range of healthy meals
- The characteristics of a poor diet and risks associated with unhealthy eating (including, for example, obesity and tooth decay) and other behaviours (e.g. the impact of alcohol on diet or health)
Pupils needing extra support: Provide with a copy of the Activity: Food groups diagram for pupils to visually see which foods are in each food group.
Pupils working at greater depth: Challenge to design their own balanced dish and explain why it is a healthy plate of food.
Skip class example on slide 6 and see if the pupils can determine where each ingredient needs to sit on their own.
Seek a deeper understanding through open questioning and by asking them to justify their answers.
Assessing pupils' progress and understanding
In this topic
- Assessment RSE & PSHE Y2: Health and wellbeing
- Lesson 1: Experiencing different feelings
- Lesson 2: Healthy body, healthy brain: being active
- Lesson 3: Relaxation: breathing exercises
- Lesson 4: Steps to success
- Lesson 5: Resilience: developing a growth mindset
- Lesson 6: Healthy diet
- Lesson 7: Looking after our teeth