Before the lesson
- To understand the benefits of healthy eating and dental health
Pupils should know:
- What constitutes a healthy diet (including understanding calories and other nutritional content).
- The characteristics of a poor diet and risks associated with unhealthy eating (including, for example, obesity and tooth decay) and other behaviours (e.g. the impact of alcohol on diet or health).
- About dental health and the benefits of good oral hygiene and dental flossing, including regular check-ups at the dentist.
National curriculum links:
Animals including humans
- Identify that animals, including humans, need the right types and amount of nutrition, and that they cannot make their own food; they get nutrition from what they eat.
Pupils needing extra support: Should work in mixed ability groups so they can support each other.
Pupils working at greater depth: Can be challenged to describe the effects the different food groups have on our bodies.