- To learn the words in French for countries around the world
Pupils should be taught to:
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words.
- Understand basic grammar appropriate to the language being studied; the conjugation of high-frequency verbs; key features and patterns of the language.
- Fostering curiosity and deepening understanding of the world.
- L 6.3. Match sound to sentences and paragraphs, listen carefully to a model, eg: a video recording, recorded story or song, and re-constitute a sentence or paragraph using text cards.
Before the lesson
Teacher knowledge - language points
During the week
- Test the children on the French country names, and whether they are masculine/feminine/plural
- Test the children on where in the world they will find the countries in the lesson located.
- Let the children play the quiz on this link: ‘BBC Bitesize -French – Countries’. The children may not be able to do all of it but they could have a good guess at some questions and could practice using a dictionary to find out the answer to the questions they don’t know.
- Get the children to research the Angles and Celts. Can the children think of any words that also use ‘terra’ in them eg. terrain, Mediterranean, terracotta, subterranean, extra-terrestrial, terrace.
- Play the game from the Wrapping-up.