Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To investigate text for visual clues and find information
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Understand and respond to written language from an authentic source
- Discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing
KS2 – Foreign Language
- Broaden their vocabulary and develop their ability to understand new words that are introduced into familiar written material, including through using a dictionary
- Read fiction and non-fiction texts (L5.1)
- Look and listen for visual clues (LLS)
- Recognise typical conventions of word order in the language (KAL)
During the week
- Read the poem ‘Jabberwocky’ by Lewis Carroll. Ask the children to highlight nonsense words, give their ‘English translation’ and explain how they know the meaning.
- Get the children to research English online encyclopedias about Komodo Dragons. Do they agree on the facts? How do other online resources compare in layout, content, etc?
- Create a shared set of headings and word bank list for animal fact file writing (volunteers to type up list from the post-it notes).