Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To recognise and use phrases to say if I have a brother or sister
Pupils should be taught to:
- Read carefully and show understanding of simple writing
- Speak in sentences using familiar vocabulary
- Choose phrases to write in a gapped text or as captions (L5.3)
- Understand and use negatives (KAL)
During the week
- Start each day by sharing an example of a French word or phrase that we ‘borrow’ in English without a translation, for example ‘unique’, ‘croissant’, ‘rendezvous’, ‘RSVP’.
- Play the Link: ‘Le Soldat Rose à la fabrique de jouets – Frère et sœur’ on SafeYouTube. Le Soldat Rose is a French children’s musical about a boy who hides in the toy section of a department store. The song Frère et sœur is taken from it. You can just watch and enjoy the video, or challenge the children to tally how many times they hear the word frère or sœur.
- Depending on the children in your class and circumstances, ask the question during register, Tu as des frères ou des soeurs? – Do you have brothers or sisters? – children respond with details about their family.