Before the lesson
- To produce a finished structure
- To evaluate the strength, stiffness and stability of their structure
Pupils should be taught to:
- Select from and use a wide range of materials and components, including construction materials, textiles and ingredients, according to their characteristics
- Explore and evaluate a range of existing products
- Evaluate their ideas and products against design criteria
- Build structures, exploring how they can be made stronger, stiffer and more stable
Pupils needing extra support: Could copy a design, use one material and a simple construction A way of doing something to complete a task.. May require support with cutting and using tape to secure joints.
Pupils working at greater depth: Should be encouraged to work independently and to use a wider range of materials and construction techniques to produce a more complex model, identifying ways to improve their design as they work.