Before the lesson
Download classroom resources
- To recognise coding structures
National curriculum links
Pupils should be taught to:
- Use logical reasoning to explain how some simple algorithms work
- Work with variables and various forms of input
Pupils needing extra support: Encourage children to use the colours and icons to help them locate the blocks within the sections. Focus on familiarity with the blocks and interface rather than their understanding of variables at this time.
Pupils working at greater depth: Challenge these children with sets of ‘what if’ questions to do with the program they create. Do they agree what will happen?
- there were no instructions under ‘on start’?
- we changed ‘set [variable]’ to 5?
- we changed ‘change [variable]’ to -1?
- we wanted to stop the same person pressing the button lots of times by accident?